The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket TNF Black
On very short notice I invited my uncle Drew to go on a mid September hike of the Franconia Ridge Loop in New Hampshire. Naturally he eagerly agreed as he always does. We set the wheels in motion. A hike of this magnitude, altitude and time of year required some additional preparation. Weather is always a factor when you get above the tree line and into the alpine zone. This time of year warm weather below creates unpredictability at the summit. Snow, wind and fog are always an option. We monitored the weather about a week out and it looked like at base camp the KOA Campground in Woodstock/Lincoln, New Hampshire we would see dry, sunny and 70 degrees but at the Franconia Ridge Loop we were looking at 40 mile per hour winds, clouds and upper 40 degree temperatures. This meant an opportunity for this girl to buy new clothes. It’s what girls do.
The first apparel item I needed for the hike was a waterproof, breathable windbreaker. I’m a big fan of The North Face brand apparel especially their jackets. They look great and typically fit me perfectly. A quick browsing of the North Face website lead me to the Venture 2 jacket. Unfortunately though where I live in Vermont there’s no stores to shop for this kind of apparel and I didn’t have time to go to Burlington. I’m very fortunate that over the course of my 7 year super close relationship with Drew I have trained him to be my personal shopper. A single text and he was on it.
Drew is luck in that where he lives in Connecticut he has access to The North Face at REI in Orange, Cabelas in West Hartford and a The North Face store in New Haven. Unfortunately none of those stores had the Venture 2 in small in stock. Fortunately Amazon did and that’s where he ended up buying it.
The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket TNF Black – The Fit & Style
I’m very picky about how clothes look, feel and fit, I mean REALLY picky, fortunately Drew knows how I like my clothes and he was pretty confident I would be satisfied. I wouldn’t get to try it on until I met him at the KOA campground. He was right, I LOVED THE VENTURE 2 right away. I’m 5ft 7 inches tall, very long legs and very fit. The jacket size “small” tapered in at my waist just right and fit perfectly at the top of my butt, just like a girl wants a jacket like this to fit. The sleeves were a perfect length and the hood fits just right over my Patagonia cap. Bottom line it fit great and looked great doing as a result. The real test though is the hike.
The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket TNF Black – Field Test
The weather predictions were as promised. We hit the trail at 6:30am to avoid the crowds. The sky was a little overcast and temperature was low 50’s. For pants I wore my FAVORITE grey Under Armor leggings and up top I wore a Nike Dri Fit long sleeve base layer and Nike sports bra. I prefer to be cool than sweat. I also packed a second Nike top in my The North Face Litus 22 Pack.
The jacket was great for the entire ascent, surprisingly I didn’t even sweat. I can’t say that for my uncle lol. When I reached the summit I instantly froze. The wind was brutal. I put on my second top, put on my hood, zipped up tight and I was back in business. I was comfortable hiking unless we stopped for a break, then I got chilly and that’s how I prefer it. The entire 8.5 mile hike the jacket worked as expected. On the descent I took my hood off, unzipped about 1/3 and I was comfortable until I got back to my Jeep.
The jacket is AWESOME!! It has become my fall jacket not just for hiking but my day to day. As you can see above the jacket worked equally well eating nacho’s and drinking Margaritas at Nacho’s Mexican Grill.
Thanks for reading!
Erin & Willow
You only need a handful of extra space in your pack to stash this ultralight, weatherproof rain jacket for extra weather protection when storms are on the horizon. A Relaxed Fit and an adjustable hood leave room for extra layers.
When black clouds descend from above the canyon, reach into your backpack for The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket. Updated with a new fabric, cleaner construction, and fresh style, the waterproof, breathable DryVent 2.5-layer membrane and fully taped seams easily shed water and keep you bone-dry while you make your way back to camp. Underarm vents ditch excess heat, a fully adjustable hood with hidden drawcord system shields your head and face from the elements, and the brushed chin-guard lining offers comfort when you zip all the way up.
The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket is a rain jacket for continuing on through wet weather. Wind, no problem. Rain, it’ll roll right off. All you have to do is wear DryVent™ 2.5L, 100% nylon ripstop fabric and you’re good to go through your next hike. Pit-zips open up to keep you cool on warmer days and the whole thing stows in its own pocket, so you can bring it along to work, school or on the hiking days that threaten rain.
Clean details and new fabric come together in the updated Venture 2 Jacket from The North Face®. Perfect for everyday use, this relaxed fit full zip features DryVent™ technology ensuring weather protection during any activity. Adjustable features allow you to tailor the fit while pit zip venting creates breathable comfort. A year-round jacket with revised style lines, this TNF® shell will become your favorite.
- RELAXED FIT offers lasting comfort
- DryVent™ technology provides maximum protection and performance
- 100% WINDPROOF FABRIC shields you from harm winds
- FIXED HOOD is adjustable
- CINCH CORD at the hem traps warmth inside
- VELCRO® brand cuff tabs are adjustable
- STORM FLAP with VELCRO® brand closure covers center zip
- PIT ZIP VENTING enhances breathability
- JACKET IS STOWABLE in hand pocket for easy travel
- TWO ZIP HAND WARMING POCKETS
- VELCRO® is a registered trademark of Velcro BVBA, used with permission.
- SOLID: 40D 85 g/m DryVent 2.5L—100% nylon ripstop
- LIGHT AND DURABLE: This unlined, weatherproof women’s rain jacket is great for year-round use. Waterproof, windproof, and breathable, the adjustable hood and secure-zip hand pockets keep you dry and warm. The Venture stows neatly in its own hand pocket.
- JACKETS FOR EVERY WEATHER: The North Face has been a trusted name in outdoor gear for over 60 years. Whether you’re looking for rain coats, parkas, ski jackets, pullovers, windbreakers, or vests, The North Face has the quality jackets you’re looking for.
- OUTDOOR APPAREL: Whether you’re skiing, snowboarding, camping, hiking, training, running, or climbing, The North Face has the exceptional apparel you need for your active, outdoor life. Trust the North Face to keep you warm & dry in the great outdoors.
- THE NORTH FACE MISSION: Provide the best outdoor gear for athletes & the modern day explorer, support the preservation of the outdoors, and inspire a global movement of exploration. Try our packs, sleeping bags, hiking boots, sandals and outdoor clothing.
- QUALITY: Compare The North Face’s trusted quality outdoor gear to jackets, hiking boots, backpacks or other outdoor gear from Osprey, Jansport, Thermarest, Nike, Teton, Maxpedition, High Sierra, Dakina, Eureka, Camelback, Under Armour & more!
The North Face Women's Venture 2 Jacket TNF Black Review $99
When black clouds descend from above the canyon, reach into your backpack for The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket TNF Black . Updated with a new fabric, cleaner construction, and fresh style, the waterproof, breathable DryVent 2.5-layer membrane and fully taped seams easily shed water and keep you bone-dry while you make your way back to camp. Underarm vents ditch excess heat, a fully adjustable hood with hidden drawcord system shields your head and face from the elements, and the brushed chin-guard lining offers comfort when you zip all the way up.
- Form Fitting
- Availability locally in “Small” size